Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Batman Cake

 BATMAN CAKE

Malakai asked for this for his birthday for about 6 months. He was thrilled when I finally made it.

CAKE
1 (16.5oz) box Duncan Hines Devil's Food cake mix
1/3 C dry instant chocolate pudding and pie filling
1/4 C flour
1 C water
4 eggs
1/4 C mayonnaise
1/3 C vegetable oil

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9 inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Divide evenly into the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 24-29 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Take out of pan and set face down on wire rack. Once completely cooled, wrap in saran wrap and freeze over night. This just makes it easier to cut and decorate. Next day cut off the top of cake to make a flat even surface.

FROSTING
1 C butter
1 C shortening
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 tsp clear vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1TBSP meringue powder
about 2 lbs powdered sugar

*Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Cream together on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add meringue powder and a little bit of the powdered sugar. Mix together and continue to add powdered sugar. I use almost a full 2 pound bag. Beat on medium high for 3-5 minutes.

I put my cake on a cardboard round. Cut the edges leaving about 1/4 inch of cardboard around the cake. Spread a small, thin amount of frosting on the cardboard to act like glue. Place one of the two cakes face down on the cardboard. Spread that layer with frosting and place the other cake on top, face down also. Spread frosting over entire cake. This time I used a store bought fondant and dyed it yellow to save time. Roll the fondant out and place on top of cake. Slowly smooth fondant over cake and cut off any excess fondant. For the Batman symbol I just printed off a symbol that I liked, placed it over a sugar sheet and cut out the design. the sugar sheet was really easy to use. I highly recommend it for decorating. My friend Amy had some leftover edible paper that we put around the cake. Honestly I wish I would have just used my sugar sheet because the edible paper was so hard to work with and I didn't like the look of it.


I thought the cake was perfect for what Malakai wanted and it wasn't too difficult to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment